Count of Flanders
|My "Count of Flanders" ancestors|
The Count of Flanders was the ruler or sub-ruler of the county of Flanders from the 9th century until the abolition of the position by the French revolutionaries in 1790. The title has also twice been granted to younger sons of the king of the Belgians, the most recent holder dying in 1983. Although the early rulers, from Arnulf I onwards, were sometime referred to as margraves or marquesses, this alternate title largely fell out of use by the 12th century. Since then the rulers of Flanders have only been referred to as counts. The Counts of Flanders enlarged their estate through a series of diplomatic manoeuvres. The counties of Hainaut, Namur, Béthune, Nevers, Auxerre, Rethel, Burgundy, and Artois were acquired via marriage with the respective heiresses. The County of Flanders itself suffered the same fate. By the marriage of Countess Margaret III with Philip II, Duke of Burgundy, the county and the subsidiary counties entered a personal union with the Duchy of Burgundy in 1405. The county itself ceased to exist in 1795. Source: Wikipedia
01. Baldwin I, Count of Flanders was born in 837 in Flanders, France. He married Judith, Princess of Franks and Queen of England, daughter of Holy Roman Emperor Charles "The Bald" and his wife Ermentrude. Judith is also the great-granddaughter of Charlemagne by Charles and his father Louis. Baldwin died in 879.
02. Baldwin II "The Bald" Count of Flanders , son of Baldwin and Judith was born in 863 in Flanders, France. He married Elfrida, Princess of England and youngest child of Alfred the Great and his wife Ealswith. He died on September 10, 918.
03. Arnulf I, Count of Flanders , son of Baldwin and Elfrida was born in 889. He married Adela De Vermandois, daughter of Herbert II De Vermandois and his wife Adele who was daughter of King Robert I of France.
04. Baldwin III, Count of Flanders , son of Arnulf and Adela was born in 933 in Flanders, France. He married Mathilde of Saxony, daughter of Hermann Billung, Duke of Saxony. Baldwin died on November 1, 962.
05. Arnulf II, Count of Flanders , son of Baldwin and Mathilde was born abt. 941 in Flanders, France. He married Rozala, Queen of France/Italy and daughter of King Berengar II of Italy and Willa of Tuscany. Rozala is also a descendant of Charlemagne through both Lothair II and Gisela. Arnulf died on March 30, 987.
07. Baldwin V, Count of Flanders , son of Baldwin and Otgive was born abt. 1012 in Flanders, France. He married Adele, Princess of France and daughter of King Robert II of France in 1028. At her instigation he rebelled against his father but in 1030 peace was sworn and the old count continued to rule until his death on September 1, 1067.
08. Queen Matilda Flanders , daughter of Baldwin and Adele was born in 1031 in Flanders, France. She married William "The Conqueror" King of England in 1053. I descend from both their son Henry I, King of England through two wives and one concubine and their daughter Adela of Normandy who married Stephen II Count of Blois.
My Descent From The Counts of Flanders
|38||Baldwin I Count of Flanders (837-879)||Judith Princess/Queen (844-870)|
|37||Baldwin II Count of Flanders (863-918)||Elfrida, Princess of England (868-920)|
|36||Arnulf I Count of Flanders (889-964)||Adela De Vermandois (915-958)|
|35||Baldwin III Count of Flanders (c925-962)||Mathilde Countess of Flanders (969-1008)|
|34||Arnulf II Count of Flanders (c941-987)||Rozala Queen of France/Italy (c945-1003)|
|33||Baldwin IV Count of Flanders (c967-1036)||Otgive De Luxembourg (c986-1030)|
|32||Baldwin V Count of Flanders (c1012-1067)||Adele, Princess of France (1009-1079)|
|31||William "The Conqueror" (1024-1087)||Matilda Flanders (1031-1083)|
|30||King Henry I (1070-1135)||Matilda Atheling (1079-1118)|
|29||Geoffrey V Plantagenet (1113-1151)||Queen Matilda (1104-1169)|
|28||King Henry II (1132-1189)||Eleanor of Aquitaine (1121-1204)|
|27||King John Lackland (1161-1216)||Isabella Taillefer (1188-1245)|
|26||King Henry III (1206-1272)||Eleanor of Provence (1222-1291)|
|25||King Edward I "Longshanks" (1239-1307)||Eleanor of Castile (1240-1290)|
|24||Gilbert De Clare (1243-1295)||Joan "of Acre" Plantagenet (1272-1307)|
|23||Hugh D'Audley (1289-1347)||Margaret De Clare (1292-1342)|
|22||Ralph De Stafford (1301-1372)||Margaret D'Audley (1318-1347)|
|23||Sir John De Ferrers (1331-1367)||Elizabeth De Stafford (c1337-1375)|
|22||Sir Robert De Ferrers (1359-1413)||Margaret Le Despencer (1415-)|
|21||Sir Edmond De Ferrers (c1387-1435)||Ellen Roche (-1440)|
|20||Sir William De Ferrers (1412-1450)||Elizabeth Belknap (1471-)|
|19||Sir Walter Devereux (1433-1485)||Anne De Ferrers (1438-1469)|
|18||Sir Richard Corbet (1451-1493)||Elizabeth Devereux (1452-1541)|
|17||Sir Robert Corbet (1477-1513)||Elizabeth Vernon (1481-1563)|
|16||Sir Richard Mainwaring (1499-1558)||Dorothy Corbet (1498-)|
|15||Sir Arthur Mainwaring (1520-1590)||Margaret Mainwaring (1521-)|
|14||Richard Cotton (1539-1602)||Mary Mainwaring (1541-1578)|
|13||George Abell (1561-1631)||Frances Cotton (1565-1630)|
|12||Robert Abell (1589-1663)||Joanna (1610-1672)|
|11||Caleb Abell (1646-1731)||Margaret Post (1653-1700)|
|10||Zachariah Loomis (1681-1751)||Joanna Abell (1682-1759)|
|9||Ebenezer Jones (1718-1800)||Zerviah Loomis (1724-1808)|
|8||Miles Jones (1764-1812)||Mehitable Adams (1771-1812)|
|7||Miles Jones (1794-1885)||Pamelia Turner (1805-1883)|
|6||Darius Benjamin Jones (1834-1918)||Marquerite Cowan (1835-1906)|
|5||Nathaniel Henry Hawk (1858-1944)||Anna Irene Jones (1868-1936)|
|4||Ernest August Schwiening (1873-1944)||Grace Myrtle Hawk (1885-1984)|
|3||William Edward Marshall (1901-1981)||Irene Sophia Schwiening (1908-1992)|
|2||William Edward Marshall|
|1||Tod Howard Marshall|
This page was created on 01/26/14 and last updated on 06/18/17
Return to my main page