My Savile ancestors
The following Savile line is from the book "Kin of Mellcene Thurman Smith".
01. Sir John Savile of Savile Hall is the first known of this family line.
02. Sir John Savile, son of John was born abt. 1150. He married a daughter of Simon de Rockley.
03. John Savile, Esquire, son of John and brother of Sir Walter Savile was born abt. 1170. He married Agnes Aldwark, daughter of Sir Roger Aldwark
04. Henry Savile, son of John and Agnes was born abt. 1190. He married Alice Golcar, daughter and heiress of John Golcar.
05. Thomas Savile, son of Henry and Alice was born abt. 1250 of Newstead, Yorkshire, England. He married the daughter and heiress of Sir Richard Tankersley.
06. John Savile, son of Thomas was born in 1280. He married Isabel Lathom, daughter of Sir Robert Lathom.
07. Sir John Savile, son of John and Isabel was born abt. 1310. He married Jane de Bosco, daughter of Matthew de Bosco alias Wood.
08. Sir John Savile, son of John and Jane was born in 1340. He married Margaret Rishworth (Margery), youngest of three daughters and heiresses of Henry Rishworth.
09. Sir John Savile, son of John and Margaret was born abt 1360. He married Isabel Elland, daughter of Thomas Elland, whose arms were: Gules, two bars, eight martlets argent. He was Knight of Tankersley and Eland or Elland; High Sheriff of Yorkshire, 1380, 1383 and 1388; Knight of the Shire, 1375. His will proved Sept. 24, 1399; to be buried in Elland church.
10. Henry Savile Esquire, son of John and Isabel of Tankersley, Elland and Thornhill. He married Elizabeth Thornhill, daughter of Simon Thornhill, son of Sir Brian Thornhill, Knight, of Thornhill, who was descended from Sir Richard Thornhill, who married Mawde, sister of Bryan, son of Alwynus of Bedale. Henry died in 1437.
11. Sir Thomas Savile, son of Henry and Elizabeth was born abt 1381. He married Margaret Pilkington, daughter of Sir Thomas Pilkington. Of Thornhill, Tankersley and Eland, Thomas was heir to his cousin, Isabel Savile Darcy, wife of Thomas Darcy. She was daughter of Sir John Savile, uncle of this Thomas. Sir Thomas had for this inheritance lands in Eland, Golcar and in Halifax vicarage, the lordship of Tankersley, and tenements in Rochdale in Lancashire, and other places, formerly the lands of Robert Lathom. He was Knight of the Shire in 1439. Thomas died in 1449. His will was in the feast of St. Edmund's, Archdeanery of Canterbury, 1449, to be buried in Thornhill church.
12. Sir John Savile, son of Thomas and Margaret. He married Alice Gascoigne, daughter of Sir William Gascoigne of Gawthorpe. Of Thornhill, Tankersley and Eland, John was High Sheriff of Yorkshire 1450 and 1467; Chief Steward of the Manor of Wakefield; will Nov. 23, 1481, proved June 21, 1482, administration to his widow Alice who took the vow of chastity July 3, 1482.
13. Sir John Savile, son of John and
Alice was born before 1433. The Eldest son and heir, John was Knight of the Shire in 6th
of Edward IV, 1467. He married Jane Harrington, daughter of Thomas Harrington
of Brearly. John died in the lifetime of his father (before 1481).
Sources used in this book on the Savile line :
- Clay's Dormant and Extinct Peerage, pp. 188-190.
|Surnames that married into my Savile family|
|ALDWARK||CALVERLY||DE BOSCO||DE ROCKLEY|
My Descent From The Savile Line
|18||Sir John Savile (bef 1433-)||Jane Harrington (1441-)|
|17||Sir William Calverly (-1529)||Alice Savile (1460-1529)|
|16||Sir Walter Calverly (1509-1547)||Isabel Drakes (1487-)|
|15||Sir William Calverly (1521-)||Elizabeth Sneyde (1525-)|
|14||Robert Hyde (1543-1614)||Beatrice Calverly (1544-1624)|
|13||William Hyde (1600-1681)|
|12||John Post (1629-1711)||Hester Hyde (1631-1703)|
|11||Caleb Abell (1646-1731)||Margaret Post (1653-1700)|
|10||Zachariah Loomis (1681-1751)||Joanna Abell (1682-1759)|
|9||Ebenezer Jones (1718-1800)||Zerviah Loomis (1724-1808)|
|8||Miles Jones (1764-1812)||Mehitable Adams (1771-1812)|
|7||Miles Jones (1794-1885)||Pamelia Turner (1805-1883)|
|6||Darius Benjamin Jones (1834-1918)||Marquerite Cowan (1835-1906)|
|5||Nathaniel Henry Hawk (1858-1944)||Anna Irene Jones (1868-1936)|
|4||Ernest August Schwiening (1873-1944)||Grace Myrtle Hawk (1885-1984)|
|3||William Edward Marshall (1901-1981)||Irene Sophia Schwiening (1908-1992)|
|2||William Edward Marshall|
|1||Tod Howard Marshall|
This page was last updated on 01/21/14
Return to my main page